Sunday, July 29, 2012

Single Serve Chocolate Muffin- less than 200 Cal.


I swear I am not a muffin-obsessed fanatic.

But for a few weeks my friend and I totally were obsessed!

 In fact we were obsessed with one muffin in particular. Sally’s Baking Addiction, "Skinny" chocolate chip muffin.  

Well I did some math and figured out that these muffins were roughly 210 calories. So I wondered to myself today, Can I get my chocolate fix, in a muffin, in less than 200 calories?  Well I refused to use “fake chocolate chips “  you know the kind, less sugar, less actual chocolate, and a sin to cocoa.

So I stood in the middle of the kitchen and looked around what could I use? Then it hit me. Cocoa! Hershey’s powdered baking Cocoa .

So I wouldn’t have the gooey wonderfulness of melty semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I would have chocolate!

1 Tablespoon of Cocoa powder has about 10 calories, so perfect!

Let the experimentation begin!

So I followed Sally’s recipe pretty closely minus the powder.

Dry Ingredients
1 TBSP Cocoa powder
3 TBSP flour (I used whole wheat)
1 TBSP zero calorie sweetener
¼ TSP baking powder

Wet Ingredients
1 TBSP light butter  (I used smart balance light)
1.5 TBSP milk (I used non-fat and you can use soy, almond, or rice too)
½ TSP vanilla extract

1.     Preheat the oven to 330 degrees
2.     Line or spray a muffin tin. (ONLY ONE SLOT!)
3.     Stir the dry ingredients together
4.     Add the wet ingredients and stir but not to much! We don’t want a tough muffin.  ;)
5.     Bake for 17-20 minutes , check it with a tooth pick (at my elevation I went the full 20)
6.     ENJOY!!!!



If you don’t care about calories jazz this up with some chopped up pecans, or substitute half of the butter with Peanut butter! Even add chocolate chips for a chocolaty explosion.  Or…oh my gosh, fruit like halved cherries!

Anyway, enjoy the recipe and don’t forget to check out Sally’s baking addiction. Pretty awesome stuff. 

Nutritional Info thanks to Myfitnesspal.com


No comments:

Post a Comment