Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fresh Food Storage and Cleaning Tips

Hi'ya!


You know what I love about summer? All the freshness! Fresh fruits, veggies, heck even the meat seems fresher somehow.


Today I went grocery shopping and bought a whole bunch of fresh veggies and fruit. Now, as someone who grew up on a little self sustaining farm I am a big advocate of making sure your fruits and vegetables are clean.

When it comes to things like bananas, grapefruit, or kiwi I don't worry about it so much, as I am not exactly eating the skin of those fruits.

CLEANING
WHAT I DO
 Many people use fancy washes and what not. Thanks to my dad thinking it a miracle liquid, I use vinegar.

1. Grab a large bowl, plastic container or as I often do scrub out your sink and plug it.

2. begin filling it with water (lukewarm) and depending on the amount of fruit to be washed as 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar.

3. Add the fruit. I like to separate smaller fruit like berries or even grape tomatos into strainers.

4. Let the fruit soak for 10-15 minutes. I use this time to clean.

5. rinse and store the fruit.

STORAGE
WHAT I DO

With the apples I simply dried and put in the fruit bowl.
I swear there are apples under all the yummy Kiwi. 
When I was young my Nonnie (AKA: Grandma) Taught me that putting a paper towel in the bag with the lettuce helps the lettuce stay fresh and crisp longer. I use this same method with berries. 



I fold a paper towel to match the container and ... then I put the fruit in.

And cover it with another towel on top (optional I just like to for extra moisture control)

  • When it comes to veggies like celery and carrots I store them in water. I got this idea from my university cafeteria salad bar. They always stored the celery in water so I figured why not. Let me tell you, my celery stays fresher longer.
1. With the celery I cut off the bottom and tops.



I like to clean and keep the top leafy part of the celery to add to soups! mhmmm yum!




2. Cut the celery into halves and throw them to clean.

3. Fill a storage container of appropriate size half way with cold water. 
4. When the celery is done cleaning just plop it in the container and done. 

1. First I peel and cut the carrots length wise. 

2. Really that is all  copy #3 above and add the carrots. 

In the end you will have containers of goodness!



I hope this is helpful and if you have any tips of your own feel free to put them in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment