Saturday, July 28, 2012

0 Fat Low Calorie Banana Berry muffins.


The other day I was craving muffins like a madman, which is amusing as I just started liking muffins this year.  You see I find most store bought muffins to be exceedingly over-sweetened.

Story time.

In general I am not a fan of overly sweet things. Really, when it comes to food I will eat almost anything except papaya and pineapple. They are too sweet. (plus pineapples texture is creepy)

Then you might say but wait! You love chocolate so what gives? I like, ok I LOVE dark chocolate, I like strong coffee, and to be honest I freaking love a good dill pickle.  (Sweet pickles are an abomination)
I will take rich flavors over sweet flavors any day.

So anyway back to the point!

 I wanted a muffin.

Well earlier in the month I had pinned a recipe that would just about do. However. I didn’t have all the necessary ingredients, so what is a girl to do?

Experiment!!!

((Here is the original recipe by Sally's Baking Addiction
http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/04/01/strawberry-banana-muffins/))



VERY BERRY BANANA MUFFINS

·      PREHEAT OVEN TO 350

·      Spray or line muffin tin


Dry ingredients
1/4 cup –whole wheat flour (you can use all purpose if desired)
¼ cup – light packed brown sugar
¼ cup -0 cal. Sweetener
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda

Wet ingredients
ONE Whipped egg white
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup plain greek yogurt (I used Fage non fat) (does not have to be greek)
½ of a medium banana mashed (thinly slice the other half)
I tbsp. milk

FRUIT (really it is all optional but don't beboring!)
Other half of the banana thinly sliced
Strawberries (optional)
Blueberries (optional)
½ of a cored apple sliced and diced thin and mashed as much as you want. (Optional)
(really it is all optional but don't be boring!)


1.    Stir the dry ingredients together
2.    Add the mashed banana and gently stir it in (not too much)
3.    Stir in egg, vanilla, yogurt, and milk
4.    Fold in desired fruit (again making sure not to over mix)

5.     Careful not to overfill these muffins will seem smaller but are moist and dense.
6.    Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes (at my high elevation I actually went 22 minutes)


ENJOY

Best of all...
ONLY 87 Calories per muffin! 
obviously results vary on fruit used and whether you made six big dense muffins or 12 smaller ones. 





No comments:

Post a Comment